Are you looking for a fun and creative way to keep your hands busy while also having a blast? Making your homemade fidget toys can be the perfect solution. These DIY projects are simple to make, with materials that are easy to find, and the best part is that you get to customize them however you want. From simple paper-based designs to more complex objects like spinning tops or mini pocket puzzles, there are countless ways to create your own unique and exciting fidget toys. With the right materials and a little imagination, you can easily craft DIY fidget toys that will provide hours of entertainment.
This article will show you how to make homemade fidget toys that appeal to all ages, from kids to adults. We’ll provide step-by-step instructions on how to create various types of fidget toys so that you can start crafting your unique creations today!
Fidget Toys: What Are They?
Fidget toys, also known as “focus toys” or “anxiety toys,” are small, handheld playthings designed to promote focused, repetitive hand movements to reduce feelings of stress, boredom, and anxiety. Some people believe that playing with one of these items comes in all shapes and sizes and can help them deal with stressful emotions like anxiety because it forces them to focus on something other than their worries.
With their meteoric rise to fame in recent years, fidget spinners have become one of the most ubiquitous fidget toys available. When feeling anxious, people of all ages, especially kids, could hold one of these small toys in each hand and spin it rapidly.
Although the link between anxiety and fidget toys hasn’t been extensively researched, more and more studies are looking into the phenomenon. Beginning in 2020, research teams at UC Santa Cruz and the UC Davis MIND Institute set out to formally investigate the correlation between fidgeting and improved cognitive performance in children with ADHD.
While the first study from 2018 focused on the potential anxiety-reducing effects of fidget spinners, the second study from the same year investigated the potential enhancement of fine motor skills through such devices. Researchers found that these abilities improved over the course of the study and that the enhancement appeared to be greatest among the test subjects diagnosed with ADHD.
What Materials Are Needed for Homemade Fidget Toys?
Fidget toys are a great way to help children and adults focus, relax, or have fun. Whether you’re looking for an activity to keep kids busy or want something to help you battle stress or boredom, making your homemade fidget toy is a fun and creative solution. Before you create your custom fidget toy, you must know what materials you’ll need.
The items you’ll need will depend on the type of fidget toy you’re making. For example, if you’re making a fidget spinner, some materials you’ll require include a paperclip, washer, nut, and rubber band. Other materials that can be used include plastic discs, beads with holes in them (or even small stones), bottle caps, buttons, coins, and other lightweight items with small holes in them. To assemble the toy, you may need wire cutters and pliers to manipulate the metal parts into shape.
When selecting other materials for your homemade fidget toys, such as plastic discs or beads with holes in them, it’s important to remember that these pieces should be large enough so as not to pose a choking hazard but light enough so as not to cause harm if accidentally thrown.
If you use metal parts, such as paperclips or washers, make sure they are rust-resistant so they won’t corrode. When choosing items like coins and bottle caps, ensure they are securely fastened so they won’t break apart during play.
Having all the necessary materials at hand will help in creating your homemade fidget toys. With creativity and ingenuity, anyone can make fun and unique toys for hours of entertainment.
How to Make Homemade Fidget Toys -4 Methods
Those with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or anxiety can benefit from the use of fidget toys. Both conditions can disrupt a person’s ability to focus their attention. By keeping their hands or minds occupied with something unimportant, fidget toys can help some people with attention issues focus better on what’s being said. Although there isn’t a ton of data on the benefits of fidget toys, what there is suggests they can be useful. Creating your own fidget toys is easy enough to do at home.
Method -1: Make a DIY Fidget Spinner
The fidget spinner is a great project for kids of all ages because it’s both a creative and rewarding activity, and the finished product is a fantastic toy for kids of all ages. Making your own fidget spinner gives you complete control over the look and feel, as you can pick the materials, colors, and patterns.
- Skate Bearing
- Craft Sticks
- Duct tape
- Flat washers
- Clear glue
Steps to Make a DIY Fidget Spinner
- You’ll need 3 pieces of equal-sized craft sticks.
- Use duct tape, paint, markers, or anything else you want to decorate the sticks.
- Create a triangle out of the craft sticks by gluing their pointed ends together; move to the following step while the glue remains wet.
- Put the skate bearing smack dab in the middle, then push the craft down onto the bearing to secure it.
- To keep the skate bearing in position while the glue gets dry, you can use clothes pins to secure the craft sticks where they will sit.
- A dab of glue there will do the trick for extra insurance that the bearing stays put in the center of each craft stick.
- Putting weight in the triangle’s apexes will make the spinner move faster and last longer. To secure it, you can use the washer using adhesive.
Method -2: Make a Chewable Necklace
The above necklaces can be crafted for either children or adults, according to the clientele’s requirements. Those who experience anxiety or sensory overload and rely on their mouths to process information may find these helpful.
- Beads or Nuts Made of Wood
- Thick Cloth, Like Fleece
- A Needle
Steps to Make a Chewable Necklace Fidget Toy
You can take a few different approaches to create one of these fidget toys.
- If you have a strip of fabric that is 3 inches wide by as long as you need for your necklace, you can turn it inside out, then fold it in half, and then sew up a portion of the lengthy sides to create a tube.
- Turn it over, so the right side is out, and insert a nut or a big wooden bead.
- To secure the bead, tie a knot on either end of the fabric. Put in a few more and secure them with knots on both ends.
- To complete the necklace, join the two ends with a knot.
- Check that it can easily be put on and removed by slipping it over a child’s head.
You can make your necklace for adults with a dangle that can be chewed on.
Method -3: Make a Zipper Bracelet
Zipper bracelets are a great fashion statement and a useful fidget tool. A zipper can be transformed into a bracelet by zipping it up and down repeatedly; this way, it won’t ever fall off your wrist.
- Thread and needle
Steps to Make a Zipper Bracelet Fidget Toy
It’s possible to assemble this bracelet in a few different ways.
- You can simply wrap the zipper all over your wrist and secure it with a knot if you don’t have any needlework skills or supplies.
- Before removing any excess, check that the zipper pull is properly positioned on your wrist.
- Remember that this makes putting on and removing the bracelet more difficult.
- If you have a needle and thread, you can attach a clasp by sewing it onto the ends of the zipper. A simple brace and ring set for a keychain would work.
- If you’re handy with a needle and thread, you can turn the zipper into an adjustable bracelet by sewing elastic between the two ends.
Method -4: Make A Stress Ball
You’ve most likely seen stress balls advertised on television and sold in stores, but it’s simple to make your own at home. It can be put together in a matter of minutes.
Steps to Make a Stress Ball Fidget Toy
- Fill a deflated balloon up to the top with flour by scooping it through the funnel; this should take about a quarter cup.
- Secure the balloon’s top with a knot.
- It only takes that much effort to create a stress ball that can be squeezed whenever needed.
- Balloons can have additional texture added by stuffing them with beads or beans.
Tips For Making Homemade Fidget Toys
Creating homemade fidget toys can be an enjoyable and rewarding experience. Paying attention to detail and using quality materials is important when making your fidget toy. Here are more few tips to help you get the most out of this activity:
- Select safe materials: You must choose non-toxic, durable materials for your homemade fidget toys. Some great options include plastic, wood, fabric, felt, and foam.
- Think outside the box: Your fidget toy doesn’t have to be complicated to provide a satisfying experience. Consider using everyday objects like paper clips or rubber bands as part of the design. This will also help keep costs down.
- Have fun with colors and textures: Experimenting with different colors and textures can make your homemade fidget toys more visually appealing and exciting to use. For example, you could use different felt shades or mix up colored rubber bands for a unique look.
- Personalize it: You can make your fidget toy even more special by adding personal touches like custom shapes or images printed on fabric or stickers applied directly to the object. This can make it feel like your own unique creation!
Making homemade fidget toys is a great way to pass the time and a creative outlet that allows you to express yourself in new ways. Take advantage of these tips when creating yours for an enjoyable crafting experience.
Fidget Toys: Create Your Own Quickly
Fidget toys can be easily made at home with everyday items that you already have in your house. Here is some step by step guide to making your homemade fidget toy:
- Start by gathering materials such as paper clips, pipe cleaners, popsicle sticks, rubber bands, and other small objects you might find around the house.
- Decide on a design for your fidget toy and create it from the materials you have gathered. Some popular designs include linking paper clips with rubber bands or creating shapes out of popsicle sticks and pipe cleaners.
- Once you are happy with the design, assemble your materials into the fidget toy shape you created in step two. Make sure to secure each connection using glue or tape if necessary.
- Add any details to your final product, such as painting, decorating with stickers or beads, etc. Have fun and be creative with your design.
- When finished, test out the fidget toy to ensure it is comfortable to play with and functions properly (i.e., spinning, clicking, etc.). Enjoy playing with your new homemade fidget toy.
Making homemade fidget toys is an easy and fun way to entertain yourself and keep busy. With the right materials, a few simple tools, and some creativity, you can craft your very own fidget toys. By following the steps outlined in this article, you’ll be able to create unique and interesting items that will provide hours of entertainment. Always use caution when working with sharp objects, as they can cause injury. Remember these tips when making your homemade fidget toys, and have fun.